Giovanni Elia is Associate Chief of Inpatient Palliative Care Services in the Division of Palliative Medicine (DPM). He is intimately involved in performance improvement as the QI director for the DPM and as Lean Champion for UCSF Health system. His academic interests are based on the optimization of patient care utilizing transdisciplinary teams engaged in regular performance review and self-care processes.
Lean Champion training, 2019 - Performance Improvement, University of California San Francisco
2018 - Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Champion Training, University of California
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Champion Training, 2018 - , University of California San Francisco
Certificate in Clinical Informatics, 2016 - Clinical Informatics, Oregon Health and Science University
Fellowship/Hospice and Palliative Medicine, 2007 - The Institute for Palliative Medicine, San Diego Hospice
Fellowship/Gynecologic Urology, 1993 - Obstetrics & Gynecology, University of Southern California
Fellowship/Pelvic Surgery, 1991 - Obstetrics & Gynecology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Obstetrics & Gynecology, 1990 - New York Medical College, Our Lady of Mercy Medical Center
Urology, 1986 - School of Medicine, Universita' Cattolica del Sacro Cuore
MD/Medicine and Surgery, 1981 - School of Medicine, Universita' Cattolica del Sacro Cuore
Honors and Awards
- Academic Teacher of the Year, State University of New York at Syracuse, Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology, 1995
- Second Best Paper Award, American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists Annual Meeting, 1994
- Teacher of the Year Award, University of Southern California, Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology, 1993
- COVID-19 Lessons: The Alignment of Palliative Medicine and Trauma-Informed Care.
- Rapid Implementation of Inpatient Telepalliative Medicine Consultations During COVID-19 Pandemic.
- An untimely end despite end-of-life care planning
- Palliative Care in Heart Failure: What Triggers Specialist Consultation?
- Textbook of Gynecologic Oncology. Second Edition. Ed. Ali Ayhan, Nicholas Reed, Murat Gultekin, Polat Dursum. Gunes Publishing, Ankara, Turkey
- Marin Medicine
- Textbook of Gynecologic Oncology. First Edition. Ed. Ali Ayhan, Nicholas Reed, Murat Gultekin, Polat Dursum. Gunes Publishing, Ankara, Turkey
- The Journal of Supportive Oncology
- The Journal of Supportive Oncology
- Gazzetta Eubiosia, March 2009;
- Current Oncology Reports
- Gazzetta Eubiosia
- Effects of a magnetic field on urodynamic parameters in women with stress urinary incontinence
- Familial Incidence of Urinary Incontinence
- Body mass index and urinary problems in women
- Uterine arterial malformation: a hidden cause of severe intermittent bleeding
- Cytopathogenic effect of Trichomonas vaginalis on human vaginal epithelial cells cultured in vitro
- Urethral resistance after surgery for stress urinary incontinence: do we obstruct to succeed?
- A teaching program in operative laparoscopy for residents in obstetrics and gynecology
- Bladder neck suspension for stress urinary incontinence: How does it work?
- Clinical Management of the Perimenopause. Ed. Shawky ZA Badawy. Edward Arnold Limited, London, England
- Effects of the menstrual cycle on Urodynamic work-up: Should we change our practice?
- Metastatic breast cancer diagnosed during a work-up for urinary incontinence: A case report
- The Physician and Sportsmedicine
- Urodynamic changes in voiding after anti-incontinence surgery: an insight into the mechanism of cure
- University Ob/Gyn Associates, Newsletter. Surgical therapy for stress urinary incontinence: general considerations and the laparoscopic approach
- Effects of blood sugar control on urodynamic studies in diabetic women: A pilot study
- Periurethral Collagen Implant: Ultrasound Assessment and Prediction of Outcome
- A cohort study comparing laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy and extrafascial hysterectomy
- Coexisting bladder and urethral leiomyomata: A case report and diagnostic considerations
- Genuine stress urinary incontinence with low urethral pressure: 5 year follow-up after Ball-Burch procedure
- Supernumerary ovary with an endometrioma and osseous metaplasia: A case report
- Surgical management of patients with endometrial cancer and cervical involvement
- Three surgical procedures for genuine stress incontinence: Five year follow up of a prospective randomized study
- Biochemical composition of collagen in continent and stress incontinent women
- Personality changes after anti-incontinence operations in women
- Urethral pressure changes in women with detrusor instability
- Obstet Gynecol Survey 1993; 48(7):509-17
- Pelvic muscle exercises: When do they work?
- Platinum chemotherapy during pregnancy for serous cystadenocarcinoma of the ovary
- Experimental superior mesenteric artery hypoperfusion in the rabbit: Critical levels in the induction of hypodynamic shock. 1984; 3:91-4
- Heterotopic liver transplantation: Actual and perspective results
- Hemodynamic, metabolic and histological findings during canine superior mesenteric artery hypoperfusion